Tuesday 8 July 2008

What do you call...

a day of clear blue skies after 2 days of rain/hail/snow?

MONDAY! Ok, so it was actually 3 days of brutal weather... and it is actually Tuesday, but you get the point!

Despite the abysmal weather, I did get to go flying over the weekend... I just happened to be in Seat 3C, as opposed to 0A ;)

On the saturday we flew from NZAA to NZPM and as you can see from the pics, the weather down below would have been 'interesting'... we had a couple of bumps on the climb out, but nothing too serious once we were up above the weather...


On the way back, we were a little lucky to make the flight... arrived 10 minutes before departure, yay for online check-in and pre-printing boarding passes... to discover the inbound flight had not even arrived... yay for regional air travel :) So thankfully had plenty of time to queue up and pay the $5 departure tax... sorry, "Development Levy"... boo for Palmerston North International Airport :(



I was hoping to get some lovely pics of the central plateau that was all covered in snow... well that is what I heard... what I think I saw was Mt Ngauruhoe poking out from amongst the clouds... the photos are a bit crap, but oh well.




In typical fashion, it cleared up from the Hamilton, but it was still interesting flying along and spotting all the familiar landmarks like Hamilton, Huntly, Lake Waikare, Pukehoke etc..

Oh and if you were wondering, there is more room in a Cessna 152 than row 3 on an Air New Zealand Link ATR72-500 :P

Hopefully this weather will stick around so I can fly over to Tauranga on Sunday... hoping for a scenic flight out to White Island! *crosses fingers*

4 comments:

Jason Jasperse said...

Hey! I'm a pilot from the States (Michigan), and just happened across your blog. I like it.

Can I say that I'm jealous of you? I'm not able to get up much anymore, due to my wife and I having our son, but I can still live vicariously through other people that fly, right?

Looks like you have some beautiful scenery to fly over! NZ is on my list of places to visit sooner or later.


wingnut

ZK-JPY said...

Michigan eh? The Mitten or the other bit (does it have a name?)? Never been, but an exchange teacher I had in Primary (Grade) School was from somewhere in Michigan... and it looked like a lovely place!

Sorry to hear that you are not flying much... I am frantically trying to get through my CPL before the stork drops by to say hello! ;)

And yes, we have some fantastic scenery... one of these days, the sunshine and the weekend will arrive at the same time and I'll be able to go and see some it!

Flyinkiwi said...

Not so sure the weather will be all that great on Saturday. Better plan to be indoors I think. BTW the White Island trip is well worth it when the weather is great (like it is today).

ZK-JPY said...

:(

The long range forecast is not looking too good... hopefully Sunday will be ni-- err flyable. :/