Monday 14 July 2008

Land of the long white cloud...

So I wake up and find that indeed the weather forecasters had got it right and all the crappy weather had blown through... and we would get to go flying. I had been planning a flight for a couple of weeks, with some NZFF associates to Tauranga to go and meet some of the guys from the Bay of Plenty area and visit the Classic Flyers Museum etc...

But Mother Nature was to have the last say. This pic shows the very nice conditions at Ardmore on departure at 1030 after all the fog had burnt off:



This pic shows the conditions around Paeroa and Te Aroha as we approached the Coromandel/Kaimai's:



:(

One big U-Turn and a city scenic later (Pics available here and here), and we landed back at Ardmore around 1230 a bit bummed that we had not made it to Tauranga.

One of the pax was kind enough to video the landing... thankfully he warned me he was recording, so I made sure it was a good one... note the stall warning light that flashes right on touchdown ;)



And then, to rub salt into the wound, around 1600 while I was hanging around at the clubrooms, I saw a Bayflight 152 (KID) do a Touch and Go at Ardmore... so the cloud had obviously cleared...

Still, not a total loss, I got to go flying (which is always a good thing!), and the guys seemed to have a good time. We, the Auckland based crew, have decided that next time we have a meet, it will either be in summer, or in Auckland!


This flight: 2.0 PinC
Total Hours: 129.9 (78.9/39.7 Day, 4.9/6.4 Night, 5.1 IFR)

6 comments:

Flyinkiwi said...

No luck trying the Waihi Gap?

ZK-JPY said...

Unfortunately not... I was at about 900', hugging the bottom of the cloud and looking towards the gap, the lowest terrain I could see was about level with the aircraft!

Next time, I might try the Colville Gap towards the northen tip of the peninsula... a bit of roundabout trip up and back down the peninsula, but worth a shot.

Chris Nielsen said...

Funny, I tried to get from HN to TG and ran into the same wall of cloud! I tried climbing and gave up at 3500... So I also turned round and did a scenic over the city (well, the city I live in, at least)

ZK-JPY said...

What time were you over that way? I saw a few aircraft buzzing around...

The only reason why I didn't bother trying to climb over it was that I had been cruising up the firth at around 3000' and already knew it was too high to try that :)

Flyinkiwi said...

Just watched the video - nice landing, very smooth!

I should put the com traffic on speaker when I am filming landings but I always forget to do it.

ZK-JPY said...

I must remember to ask Andrew how he got the comm traffic... I think he must have plugged the cam into the intercom somehow... coz I am pretty sure I did not have it on speaker!