Sunday 25 November 2007

Karma?

So maybe I've upset the aviation gods... or maybe its the full moon... but flying this weekend was 'interesting'.

To begin with, the rostered B-Cat was going to be unavailable, so that ruled out flying with Trevor. However then I found he was available but only until 1100.

So I headed out for some solo work. Pre-flight was OK, except for a slight discrepancy with the paperwork as the previous hirer had recorded the previous flight hours incorrectly (warning sign #1) and I taxied out for 21.

I was observing proper behaviour and parked so I could observe base and finals before lining and was about to make the call and move when a charter flight cut in from the other side of the runway... (warning sign #2)

So I let him go, and luckily the circuit was empty so I was able to follow him out. A good max performance takeoff and I was away. Or so I thought! As I turned crosswind, a nice 20degree climbing turn, and out of nowhere the airspeed dropped from 70kts to around 55! Nose down, wings level... no stall warning or huge altitude loss, but definitely an anxious moment and expletive or three... (warning sign #3)

I vacated the circuit and headed along the Hunua Valley towards the training area trying to dodge the small pockets of clouds that were floating around 1800' to 2000'... (warning sign #4)

Once at the Training Area, I noticed that the visibility was maybe around 10 to 15km... it was very hazy and the cloud base was maybe around 2500'... so I tried to warm up with some steep turns, but with these annoying little pockets of cloud floating around in a relatively strong wind it was going to be difficult to get anything done... (warning sign #5)

So I decided to cut my losses and headed back for some circuits instead...

Made my radio call approaching the mandatory broadcast zone (MBZ)... and after releasing the push-to-talk button, heard the UNICOM operator confirming something from another aircraft... so I requested confirmation that he had heard my broadcast and was asked to repeat... (warning sign #6)

Did an overhead join into the circuit, called turning downwind... and began the approach... at which point one aircraft called lining up 21 seal and a second aircraft called rolling on 21 Grass. "No drama's", I am thinking to myself "I'm only on base, he has a lot of time to move"... at which point the guy on the seal announces that he is 'Holding on 21 Seal'.... Still not a big deal, I have time... at which point he decides that he is 'Continuing to Hold on 21 seal'... (warning sign #7)

Thanks buddy!.... "Ardmore traffic, Juliet Foxtrot Yankee turning finals for 21 GRASS, full stop".... I decided that after 7 warning signs I should take a hint!

But Karma was not finished with me... as I was coming over the fence I hear UNICOM telling a helo that "There is no reported traffic for 21 Grass".... eeeerrrrr what?!?!? "JFY, short finals for grasss!"...

I taxied back to the club, secured the plane and went and had a cuppa...

Just another day at NZAR! :)

This flight: 0.7 Solo
Total Hours: 74.0 (58.2 Dual, 15.8 Solo, 3.2 IFR)

No comments: