Sunday 4 November 2007

How low can you go?

Was not looking good when I drove out to NZAR this morning... weather was gray and was raining lightly... but there was not a lot of wind... and I figured I could do some groundwork if flying was a no-go...

However, the cloudbase was high enough (around 1200' AGL) to do some circuit work, so I had a "B-Cat Check" first up... an hour of circuits with Chief Instructor Rob... Basically a QA check to make sure I am learning what I am supposed to be learning... and that Trevor is teaching what he is supposed to be teaching... it had a little bit of everything thrown in... Glide Approach, Short Field Grass Landing, Max Performance Grass T/O, EFATO, Flapless, Go-Around...

busy but good fun, although I made some minor errors and was given some things to work on by Rob during the debrief... Most importantly, keeping my eyes outside... I think that in doing the basic IFR training, I have become a little bit addicted to the instruments... and have been finding it hard to get back to flying by reference (ie. attitude to horizon). Definitely something I will work on over the next few flights.

I have no idea why no-one else was flying... it was perfect weather for circuit work... not that I am complaining, with only the 3 AFC 152's in the circuit everything went like clockwork :)

Then an hour of low flying... no need to worry about the cloudbase when you are cruising around the low flying area at 250' :) some of the visual illusions (slip in) are a little disturbing, as it feels as though the aircraft is sliding down into the water!

The weather closed in about 10 minutes after we had landed and shutdown... so we were certainly the lucky ones to have got some flying done... something to be said for being the early bird I guess.

I am slowing ticking off the few boxes left (Precautionary Landings, Instrument Flying - Full and Partial Panel, Unusual attitudes) and only a few more solo hours before I have the minimum requirements...

If the weather plays ball (touch wood) I will hopefully have myself a PPL for christmas! :)

This flight: 0.8 Dual + 0.8 Dual
Total Hours: 69.2 (56.9 Dual, 12.3 Solo, 3.2 IFR)

No comments: