Monday 4 April 2011

The other side...

of the world that is... :)

So, I'm currently enjoying the english countryside... which I've discovered can be an interesting place to navigate around.

Largely because the area I'm in (East Midlands) is about as flat as a billiard table! Which can make it a little disorientating, as you can't just be "Oh, there is the ABC ranges over there" or "Look, Mt XYZ is over there"... Plus all the villages/towns look the same and they're fairly close to one another, so it can be difficult to work out which one you're actually overhead!

I think the biggest problem I've had so far, has just been the position of the sun... As opposed to New Zealand, where the sun tends to occupy the northern part of the sky, here in *cough*"sunny"*cough* England, it likes to live in the southern skies... which has been messing with my head a little bit and throwing my natural sense of direction out... as I keep looking at the sun and going, north is that way! Only to have the compass disagree when I use it to confirm :P

There are a few bonuses tho... like the fact that the place is so flat means that there isn't much to hit, so most of the minimum safe altitudes listed on the charts are under 1000' :P It also means you're spoilt for choice when it comes to options for forced landings! And because there are so many suitable places to put an airfield, the english went ahead and put them in! I actually think it's a throwback to World War II, with many of the airfields being ex-airforce... in any case, it's quite difficult to not be near an airfield, which means there are plenty of places to visit, so hopefully I'll see a few during my travels over the next few months :)

1 comment:

Ardmore Pilot said...

Looking forward to the updates Jrod!