Monday 30 March 2009

A complete set

Well Euan was right... I did indeed kick some arse on my CPL Met exam... 96% to be precise ;)

So now I have the full set of CPL exams completed, which has now earned me a 'CPL Exam Credit' which is valid for 3 years. I'm really hoping it does not take me that long to actually get the CPL :P

Seeing as how I am in 'exam mode', I have decided to push on and do my Instrument Rating exams as well... so it is more book time for me. I am hoping to get started on the CPL cross-country syllabus as well.

I have also been tagging along with Trevor on some of his Instrument Rating adventures... Eyes Open, Mouth Closed... 'Sponge' mode engaged!

I have picked up quite a lot and I'm hoping this will pay off when I am the one in the hot-seat trying to do fifty million things at once :P

I successfully managed to miss the Whenuapai Open Day... but I was in the back of a PA28 going around the hold at Tauranga and shooting the missed approach etc... so it was a fair trade-off ;)

On the "New Gadget" front, my boss made me an offer I could not refuse... and I have upgraded from the Nokia 6275i to an Okta Touch (Windows Mobile 6.1) PDA-Phone. Was bummed to find that it had no GPS or wifi... until I found out a firmware upgrade enabled the GPS ;) (Still bummed about the lack of wifi tho)

I have successfully got Garmin Mobile XT running on it which allows routable car navigation and am investigating my options for airbourne GPS. Unfortunately the Windows Mobile version of the software I had been using on the Nokia, TrackMyJourney, does not seem to work with the GPS on my phone... I will continue to test it, but am thinking I may need to look at OziExplorer...

Which means I will need to redo all my maps *sigh* :(

3 comments:

Aaron Martin said...

I use OziExplorer on my HTC Touch Cruise (Windows Mobile) and it works really well, yes getting the maps sorted out takes a bit, but it is only once a year, and I found a local (Hamilton) company that scanned all my maps for $5 per sheet, much easier than doing it piece by piece with a A4 scanner!

ZK-JPY said...

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info... I will have to hunt around and see if anyone local here in AKL has a nice big scanner.

Previously, I just used the colour photocopier/scanner here at work (does A3-ish sized scans) and tried to stitch it all together in Photoshop. The results were a little mixed as Photoshop had a bad habit of trying to smooth out the joins in the latitude/longtitude lines... I probably should have done the stitching manually rather than using "photomerge".

As for OziExplorer, when you imported your maps, what settings did you use? I note that it supports NZ Map Grid... and even accounts for magnetic variation.

My initial impressions are that this is a pretty solid system and should suit my needs perfectly.

I just need to get some decent source maps ;)

Flyinkiwi said...

A big congratulations!

Good luck with the IR exams. I read on various internet sites that an IFR rating is one of the hardest ratings to get in all of aviation.

And on another note, were you in Hamilton again recently (i.e. last weekend)? I walked past someone who looked just like you in the club rooms but didn't want to look stupid by asking him if he was you. :-)