Saturday 11 August 2007

Another first

First time solo out of the circuit today... I went for a solo down to the Training Area. Put in some medium/steep turn practise and then headed back to field as the weather started to turn nasty...

It was getting quite bumpy with a fairly strong crosswind (18kts gusting 23) and I screwed up my first approach (very high/very fast) so I went around and set up again. While I was going around, there were discussions amongst UNICOM and several of the aircraft in the area about changing the runway direction. It really made no difference to be honest as the wind was basically at 90 degrees to the runway!

I made another approach that was much better than the first, as I extended downwind to allow for the lack of flaps and was concentrating more on 'flying the numbers' and managed to get down... although the actual touchdown was a little poor and several expletives passed my lips as I bobbled up and down in the flare in the crappy conditions.

Still... as they say, "Any landing you walk away from" + bonus points if the plane is still airworthy ;)

Unfortunately, this crappy weather looks likely to hold for the rest of the weekend, so tomorrow will probably be a washout.

This flight: 0.9 Hours Solo
Total Hours: 55.9 (49.1 Dual, 6.8 Solo, 2.5 IFR)

No comments: