Saturday 9 June 2007

Back on the horse...

Finally made it back into the air this morning. Despite the dodgy looking weather reports all week, the weather this morning was good. Perhaps a little windy but definitely flyable. So Idrove out to NZAR and sure enough the wind was almost straight down the strip and was only around 11 knots.

Pre-flighted JFY, the only problems being an overdue compass swing which had been granted an extension... phew! and some dirt in the fuel, which turned out to just be some crap sitting in the bottom of the collection tube... double phew!

So I jumped in, went through my checks, started up and taxied out towards the run-up area for the active runway, 21. Luckily the pattern wasn't too busy so I did not have to wait long after completing the run-up before I could line up and roll.

Unfortunately about 15 feet into the air was when I discovered that while it was a fairly gentle wind on the surface, the wind aloft was a bit stronger! Made the downwind leg fast with a 20 to 25 knot tailwind! Still it made for a fun, if somewhat challenging session and I got in some really sweet landings on the seal with some flapless landings for good measure and a passable shortfield one to finish on the grass.

If the weather holds, I might get some more tomorrow.

This flight: 0.9 Hours Solo
Total Hours: 49.8 (45.1 Dual, 4.7 Solo, 1.3 IFR)

No comments: