Sunday 8 April 2007

What goes up...

...must come down. At least, thats the theory. And funnily enough, if you put a Cessna 152 to idle power at 3000', it starts to come down :)

An introduction to Forced Landings WithOut Power (FLWOP) today. Just covering some of the basics like "immediate actions", site selection, the pattern to fly to ensure a 'positive' outcome should it ever happen for real etc.

Personally, I was just happy to be out of the circuit. And with all the circling and field spotting, I really felt like I was flying. I must have had the stupiest looking grin on my face today. It was great, a slight breeze, but visibility was almost unlimited, the sun was shining and I'm really starting to get 'The Feel'(tm) back.

Almost had the opportunity to start racking up the mandatory 5 hours of instrument flying today, as the flying out to the training area and back is essentially wasted time as you cruise along straight and level not doing anything. Unfortunately, one of the necessary instruments for IFR flight (the Turn Co-Ordinator) is currently unserviceable in JFY, so no-go... which was a little disappointing, as Instrument Flying is something that I have never done. Next week I have ETZ booked, so we should be good to go.

Anyway, we cruised out to the training area (I understand what my instructor says about wasted time), climbing up to 3000' and had my instructor demo a FLWOP, then I practised a few. I learnt some important lessons today... the most important one being that a light aircraft like the C-152 glides really well... and you do NOT need to be so concerned with not making it to your chosen landing site that you end up getting too close, too soon. I need to have a little more faith in the aircraft and fly the pattern as the aircraft really can perform like they say it does.

More of the same next week, and hopefully some instrument flying :)

This flight: 1.1 Hours Dual
Total Hours: 43.5 (39.7 Dual, 3.8 Solo)

No comments: